John Glaser, VP and CIO at Partners HealthCare System has posted up some details on HIStalk on the $20 bn Health IT portion of the US Stimulus Package:
- Provision of $40,000 in incentives (beginning in 2011) for physicians to use an EHR
- Creation of HIT Extension Programs that would facilitate regional adoption efforts
- Provision of funds to states to coordinate and promote interoperable EHRs
- Development of education programs to train clinicians in EHR use and increase the number of healthcare IT professionals
- Creation of HIT grant and loan programs
- Acceleration of the construction of the National Health Information Network (NHIN)
The details are from page 138 onwards of the House Ways and Means bill (PDF).